Jeep CJ5, CJ7 & CJ8 1972-1986
Engines: AMC 150 I4 (2.5L) | AMC 258 I6 (4.2L) | AMC 304 V8 (5.0L) | Isuzu Diesel C240 (2.4L) Transmissions: Warner T-18 (4 speed) | Borg-Warner T-4 (4 speed) | Borg-Warner T-5 (5 speed) | Tremec T-150 (3 speed manual | Tremec T-176 (4 speed manual) | Borg-Warner SR-4 (4 speed) | GM TH-400 (3 speed automatic) | Chrysler TF-999 (3 speed automatic transmission - 4.2L) | Chrysler TF-904 (3 speed automatic transmission - 2.5L) Transfer Cases: Dana 20 (1976-79) | Dana 300 (1980-86) | Borg-Warner QuadraTrac #1339 (1976 -1979) Available Axles: Dana 30 Front (1976-86) | 2-Piece AMC 20 Rear (1976-86) | Dana 44 Rear (1986)
The CJ-5 was influenced by new corporate owner, Kaiser, and the Korean War M38A1 Jeep. It was intended to replace the CJ-3B, but that model continued in production. The CJ-5 repeated this pattern, continuing in production for 3 decades while three newer models appeared. A total of 603,303 CJ-5s were produced between 1954 and 1983. In 1965, Kaiser bought the casting rights to the Buick 225 in3 (3.7 L) V6 Dauntless and the CJ-5 and CJ-6 got a new engine with 155 hp (116 kW) supplementing the Willys Hurricane engine.
The CJ-7 featured a longer wheel base than the CJ-5 and lacked the noticeable curvature of the doors previously seen on the CJ-5. It was introduced in 1976 and 379,299 were built during 11 years of production. The CJ-7 featured an optional new automatic all-wheel drive system called Quadra-Trac, as well as a part-time two speed transfer case; an automatic transmission was also an option. Other features included an optional molded hardtop, and steel doors. The CJ-7 was also available in Renegade and an upgraded Laredo model. Noticeable by their different body decals, the Laredo model featured nicer seats, steering wheel tilt, and a chrome package that included the bumpers, front grill, and mirrors. An optional Trak-Lok differential was available for the rear. Ring and Pinion was typically 3.54, but later went down to 2.73. A diesel powered version was made in the Ohio factory for export only. The engines were provided by General Motors, the owners of Isuzu Motor Cars. Production of this diesel version is believed to have been only between 1980 and 1982.