Jeep Forward Control FC150 1956-1964
The Forward Control models were primarily marketed as work vehicles for corporate, municipal, military, as well as civilian use. Regular pickup box beds were standard, but customers were offered a large number of "Jeep approved" specialized bodies from outside suppliers. These ranged from simple flatbeds to complete tow trucks, dump trucks, and fire trucks.
FC150: Introduced in 1956, FC-150 models had short wheelbase of only 81 inches (2,057 mm) with a 78 in (1,981 mm) bed. In 1958, the FC-150 received a new, wider chassis. Its tread was widened from 48 in (1,219 mm) to 57 in
(1,448 mm). FC170: Introduced in 1957, FC-170 models had a 103 inches (2,616 mm) wheelbase with a 108 in 2,743.2 mm) bed. This model is significant as it was the first time the length of the payload box - 9 feet (2.7 m) with the tailgate up - exceeded the wheelbase of a truck. This was achieved by the forward cabin layout.
F-134 "Hurricane" 4 Cylinder Engine | Spark plug gap: 0.030 in. (0.762 mm) | Spark plug torque: 25-33 lbs. ft. (34-44 Nm) | Firing order: 1-3-4-2 | Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise | Point gap: 0.020 in. | Dwell angle: 42 degrees | Ignition timing: 5 degrees BTDC| Bore and stroke :3 1/8 in. x 4 3/8 in. (79.37 mm x 111.12 mm) | SAE Horsepower: 15.63 | Weight: 470 lbs. with fluids | Max. Horsepower: 72 @ 4000 R.P.M. | Torque: 114 lbs. ft. (15.7 kg-m) @ 2000 R.P.M. | Compression pressure: 120-130 psi (8.4-9.2 kg-cm2) |Compression ratio: 6.9:1 (7.4:1 high altitude option).
The FC Jeeps were exhibited to Jeep dealers in a closed-circuit telecast on November 29, 1956, and were on display for the public at the December 1956 National Automobile Show in New York City. The FC-150 hit dealer showrooms on December 12, 1956. The initial response to the four-wheel drive FC Jeeps was favorable. Their best sales year came in 1957, when 9,738 were trucks sold. After the introduction of the FC-170 in 1957, FC-150 sales dropped to 1,546 units in 1959, before rebounding to 4,925 in 1960. Neither model became the big seller that Willys had hoped. Total production in nine years was just over 30,000 units. The FC line was discontinued in 1964.